What the "H" is Chrome and Firefox doing ??

Mickey binarynut at comcast.net
Fri Jan 23 21:43:36 UTC 2015

On 01/23/2015 03:14 PM, Kevin Cummings wrote:
> On 01/23/2015 02:50 PM, Mickey wrote:
>> FC20/KDE
>>
>> Run Google Chrome or Firefox and it locks my Box up, can't execute or
>> shut  anything down, It just freezes the desktop.
>>
>> Hard Drive runs constantly,
>>
>> If I let it run for 5 to10 minutes it will straighten it self out, but
>> sometimes I just have to shut the computer down and reboot.
> Sounds like a swapping problem.  What does your RAM layout look like?
> How much of your swap space is in use?  How many windows/tabs do Chrome
> or Firefox try and open.  Do you have them open concurrently?
>
> Does it happen immediately after a reboot?
>
>> It happens also when Firefox or Chrome is Starting.
>>
>> It doesn't happen on any one website, it can happen on any website.
>>
>> Please Help !!
>>
>> Firefox Version 35.0
>> Google Chrome Version  38.0.2125.111
>>
>> This problem happen on previous versions, I updated both browsers, but
>> to no prevail.
Chrome and Firefox only opens one Tab when opening.
I have a 2GB swap space
Here is my memory layout with Chrome running with the Foxnews.com open.

$ free
              total       used       free     shared    buffers cached
Mem:       1796328    1149180     647148      84636      36112 534292
-/+ buffers/cache:     578776    1217552
Swap:      2097148     328108    1769040