What the "H" is Chrome and Firefox doing ??

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sat Jan 24 05:45:03 UTC 2015

On Fri, 2015-01-23 at 17:20 -0500, Tom Horsley wrote:
> It takes a long time for the bookmarks and icons in the
> bookmark menu entries to show up.
>
> This is starting it with a blank page as the initial
> home screen, so no web sites are involved.

I get the impression that it's not just loading the bookmark icons from
a local cache, but is interacting with the websites while it churns
through your bookmarks.  Google chrome without any bookmarks starts up a
lot quicker.

And certainly with browsers in the past, if you had a large cache, it
would churn through it at start-up, to preen away some old files, or as
part of it's amount-of-disc-space-to-use-for-caching management.
Reducing the size of the cache helped, an awful lot, with browser
start-up times.  Large caches are often a waste of time, anyway, as so
many sites just do not support being cached.

--
tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

Linux 3.17.8-200.fc20.i686 #1 SMP Fri Jan 9 00:01:03 UTC 2015 i686

All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted, there is no point trying
to privately email me, I will only read messages posted to the public lists.