Why does Anaconda overrides user decisions?

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Sat Jan 24 08:25:23 UTC 2015

On Fri, Jan 23, 2015 at 8:56 PM, Sudhir Khanger <ml at sudhirkhanger.com> wrote:

> I choose manual partitioning for a specific reason. When I choose manual
> partitioning I expect it to let me make legal decisions about partitioning.
>
> The last time I installed Fedora 21 Anaconda was dead set to stick a data
> partition between two system partitions. And 99% of users would care about
> partition numbers because a data partition between two system partitions or
> sticking swap between a bunch of data partitions makes it impossible to
> shrink/extend/merge without too much hassle.

I'd say at most 20% of Fedora users care about partition numbers, and
in the world it's tiny less than 1%. There really aren't many
partition ninjas in the world. But I suggest filing a bug because the
current behavior isn't going to change by complaining about it here.

The other thing is that this problem is obviated if you use LVM or
Btrfs. It only happens with standard partitions, in which case you're
probably better off using gparted or blivet-gui to create the
partitions you want in advance if the order matters.

--
Chris Murphy