F20 - broken ethernet setup in NetworkManager?

Ed Greshko ed.greshko at greshko.com
Mon Jan 26 03:54:51 UTC 2015

On 01/26/15 10:32, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> And I just plugged in a F21 system via its ethernet, and it is getting the right information in /etc/resolv.conf so there is something not working on that F20 system...
>
> On 01/25/2015 08:24 PM, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>> Continuing saga.
>>
>> I have studied up on the nmcli commands.  If I do:
>>
>> nmcli dev show p6p1
>>
>> I see that:
>>
>> DHCP.OPTION[9]:    domain_name = htt-consult.com
>> DHCP.OPTION[23]:  domain_name_servers = 192.168.224.2
>>
>> But /etc/resolv.conf, which according to the comment is Generated by NetworkManager has only commented lines.
>>
>> I rebooted.  No change in /etc/resolv.conf
>>
>> I mv /etc/resolv.conf elsewhere and rebooted.  No /etc/resolv.conf
>>
>> Now I have the WiFi radio off.  I turn it on, and it connects to my AP where the DHCP there creates an /etc/resolv.conf.  I turn the radio off, and the /etc/resolv.conf goes back to the empty /etc/resolv.conf (or rather only comment lines).
>>
>> The only thing I can see different between the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-Wired_Connection_1 and the WiFi one is that on the ethernet, PEERDNS=no and I can't find where this is set.
>>
>> What else should I try?

FWIW, I found out that F21 has available NetworkManager-tui which is a curses based interface to NetworkManager.  But, it seems incomplete.  For the options associated with addresses it only has the following available....

Disabled
Automatic
Link-Local
Manual
Shared

While the GUI has

Automatic
Automatic (Only addresses)
Link-Local
Manual
Shared
Disabled

Since Automatic (Only addresses) is what gets you PEERDNS=no I suspect there is a deficiency in the command line tools.