Fedora-Live-Workstation-x86_64-21-5 on Alienware laptop

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Mon Jan 26 04:16:13 UTC 2015

Joe Zeff writes:

> So what you're saying is, there's no longer any installation form that you
> can customize as you install it.  If not, it just makes it less likely that
> I'd pick Fedora for a clean install, because I've never seen a Live Image
> that has what I need, or allows a custom partitioning scheme.

Searching the dark corners of my mind, I don't really recall that there were
ever a lot of customizations one could do for a new install. As I recall,
you had a choice of picking major components or group of packages to
install, in very broad, and limited categories. You never really had a lot
of leeway in terms of package selection. The installer was primarily
occupied with setting up and partitioning the disks, for the install.

All the disk partitioning stuff still seems to be there. When you go to
install the Live image, you still have the familiar options to set up the
disks, and as far as software selection goes, I guess that translates to the
choice of the live images to pick from: workstation, server, cloud, and the
various spins.

That's not to say that the spins are perfect. There are some glaring holes.
I installed the XFCE spin yesterday. You can't configure a printer with the
XFCE spin, as is. The XFCE spin does not install system-config-printer, so
there's absolutely no way to set up a printer, post-install. Huh? Of course,
it's not a big deal to install system-config-printer yourself, but come on.
This means that the XFCE live image can't print anything. You can't use the
XFCE live spin to test if the printer works.