Fedora-Live-Workstation-x86_64-21-5 on Alienware laptop

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Mon Jan 26 05:17:54 UTC 2015

Joe Zeff writes:

> On 01/25/2015 08:16 PM, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
>> Searching the dark corners of my mind, I don't really recall that there
>> were ever a lot of customizations one could do for a new install. As I
>> recall, you had a choice of picking major components or group of
>> packages to install, in very broad, and limited categories. You never
>> really had a lot of leeway in terms of package selection. The installer
>> was primarily occupied with setting up and partitioning the disks, for
>> the install.
>>

> Actually, I used to be able to decide which groups were installed, which
> weren't and which optional packages in the groups I wanted.  With a Live
> Image, it's all or nothing.

I remember the group selection, I did not remember that individual packages
were selectable.

I can't really say if I like or dislike a Live-based approach to doing new
installs. I think that the broad choices between the various spins will
probably meet the need of the most users. It would be nice to add some GUI
to select the individual packages, but it's easy enough to do it post-
install.

A Live install is much faster. I remember that it took hours to install
Fedora with a large package selection set. All the constant updating of the
RPM database, with each installed package, burns up a lot of time. A Live
install just copies the install image to the disk, which takes much less
time. Plus, you now have a pretty good confidence level that the install
system will boot. If the Live image boots, so will the install. I do
remember how old Fedora installers used a stripped down, custom kernel
config for the installer, and installed kernels that had minor problems
coming up for real.

>> That's not to say that the spins are perfect. There are some glaring
>> holes. I installed the XFCE spin yesterday. You can't configure a
>> printer with the XFCE spin, as is.
>
> Oh?  You mean that the web interface at http://127.0.0.1:631/ doesn't work?

I'm sure it works. But the printer is a network printer, that's not even on
the local LAN segment, and adding a network printer via the web interface is
clunky. You have to know its exact URL. You can't expect a non-technical
user to do it that way. This is something that system-config-printer does in
a much friendlier way.