Fedora-Live-Workstation-x86_64-21-5 on Alienware laptop

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon Jan 26 09:28:25 UTC 2015

On Sun, 2015-01-25 at 21:50 -0500, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> Live-based new installs appear to be the way to go, with fedup
> handling the upgrade path. The good thing about it is that this gives
> you a fairly good way to figure out whether or not you have a
> compatibility problem with your hardware.

My experience with live DVDs is that they're a poor indicator.  I've had
Live discs that simply cannot be made to run, are as slow as molasses
that you'd consider the PC too slow to run Linux (*), or discs that run
but a normal install cannot be made to.  So I always use them with large
dose of skepticism.

* That slowness isn't just down to disc drive speed, but the graphics
seem painfully slow, and even applications that you've given time to
fully load up.

--
tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

Linux 3.17.8-200.fc20.i686 #1 SMP Fri Jan 9 00:01:03 UTC 2015 i686

All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted, there is no point trying
to privately email me, I will only read messages posted to the public lists.