despirate help needed - Samba and security = share

Gary Stainburn gary.stainburn at ringways.co.uk
Mon Jan 26 11:59:41 UTC 2015

On Friday 23 January 2015 17:54:26 Philip Keogh wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Jan 2015, Gary Stainburn wrote:
> > On Friday 23 January 2015 15:59:48 Gary Stainburn wrote:
> >> I'm now installing Fedora 16 on my server and am going to re-do the last
> >> 4 days work
> >
> > Of course, my next problem is that yum no longer works, presumably
> > because there are no repositories left. Is this true, or are there still
> > some out there that I can use?
>
> Of course this should never be used in production or exposed to the
> internet, but there is a repository you can use:
> http://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/archive/fedora/linux/releases/16/Everything
>/x86_64/os/
>
> For help adding the repository to that version of Fedora, see
> http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/16/html/System_Administrators_Gu
>ide/sec-Managing_Yum_Repositories.html

I've updated my server to F17 and then tried to do a yum update. This has also
failed, so I've tried your suggestion, replacing 16 with 17. I then added the
public key, but I still cannot do yum updates:

Can anyone suggest what to do next to get updates working?

Cheers

Gary

[root at eddie-new ~]# yum update
Loaded plugins: langpacks, presto, refresh-packagekit
Error: Cannot retrieve metalink for repository: fedora. Please verify its path
and try again
[root at eddie-new ~]# yum-config-manager --add-repo
http://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/archive/fedora/linux/releases/17/Everything/x86_64/os/
Loaded plugins: langpacks, presto, refresh-packagekit
adding repo from:
http://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/archive/fedora/linux/releases/17/Everything/x86_64/os/

[dl.fedoraproject.org_pub_archive_fedora_linux_releases_17_Everything_x86_64_os_]
name=added from:
http://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/archive/fedora/linux/releases/17/Everything/x86_64/os/
baseurl=http://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/archive/fedora/linux/releases/17/Everything/x86_64/os/
enabled=1

[root at eddie-new ~]# yum update
Loaded plugins: langpacks, presto, refresh-packagekit

You have enabled checking of packages via GPG keys. This is a good thing.
However, you do not have any GPG public keys installed. You need to download
the keys for packages you wish to install and install them.
You can do that by running the command:
    rpm --import public.gpg.key

Alternatively you can specify the url to the key you would like to use
for a repository in the 'gpgkey' option in a repository section and yum
will install it for you.

For more information contact your distribution or package provider.

Problem repository:
dl.fedoraproject.org_pub_archive_fedora_linux_releases_17_Everything_x86_64_os_
[root at eddie-new ~]# wget
http://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/archive/fedora/linux/releases/16/Everything/x86_64/os/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora-x86_64
--2015-01-26 11:52:29--
http://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/archive/fedora/linux/releases/16/Everything/x86_64/os/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora-x86_64
Resolving dl.fedoraproject.org... 209.132.181.24, 209.132.181.25,
209.132.181.26, ...
Connecting to dl.fedoraproject.org|209.132.181.24|:80... connected.
Length: 1653 (1.6K)
Saving to: `RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora-x86_64'

100%[===================================================================================================================>]
1,653       --.-K/s   in 0s

2015-01-26 11:52:29 (217 MB/s) - `RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora-x86_64' saved [1653/1653]

[root at eddie-new ~]# rpm --import RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora-x86_64
[root at eddie-new ~]# yum update
Loaded plugins: langpacks, presto, refresh-packagekit
dl.fedoraproject.org_pub_archive_fedora_linux_releases_17_Everything_x86_64_os_                                                       |
4.2 kB     00:00
dl.fedoraproject.org_pub_archive_fedora_linux_releases_17_Everything_x86_64_os_/primary_db                                            |
14 MB     00:13
dl.fedoraproject.org_pub_archive_fedora_linux_releases_17_Everything_x86_64_os_/group_gz                                              |
434 kB     00:00
Error: Cannot retrieve metalink for repository: fedora. Please verify its path
and try again
[root at eddie-new ~]# yum update
Loaded plugins: langpacks, presto, refresh-packagekit
Error: Cannot retrieve metalink for repository: fedora. Please verify its path
and try again
[root at eddie-new ~]# yum update
Loaded plugins: langpacks, presto, refresh-packagekit
Error: Cannot retrieve metalink for repository: fedora. Please verify its path
and try again
[root at eddie-new ~]# cd /etc/yum.repos.d/
[root at eddie-new yum.repos.d]# ll
total 16
-rw-r--r--. 1 root root  293 Jan 26 11:50
dl.fedoraproject.org_pub_archive_fedora_linux_releases_17_Everything_x86_64_os_.repo
-rw-r--r--. 1 root root 1144 May  4  2012 fedora.repo
-rw-r--r--. 1 root root 1105 May  4  2012 fedora-updates.repo
-rw-r--r--. 1 root root 1163 May  4  2012 fedora-updates-testing.repo
[root at eddie-new yum.repos.d]# yum update ca-certificates
Loaded plugins: langpacks, presto, refresh-packagekit
Error: Cannot retrieve metalink for repository: fedora. Please verify its path
and try again
[root at eddie-new yum.repos.d]# yum reinstall ca-certificates