Ahh! did btrfs just explode on me?

Neal Becker ndbecker2 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 12:56:23 UTC 2015

Chris Murphy wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 2:06 PM, Chris Murphy <lists at colorremedies.com> wrote:
>> Hmm well it's not the same problem probably if you're still getting a
>> hang with nomodeset. It'd be nice to know for sure this is not some
>> Btrfs regression though, but the fact that it's hanging the console
>> make this difficult to troubleshoot.
>>
>> Are you using 3.18.3-201? I was using 200 which doesn't contain a
>> backported i915 related fix that'll be in 3.18.4. But the bug it fixes
>> is related to video playback not a boot time video freeze. I'm not
>> sure what's going on yet...
>
> I installed 3.18.3-201 and consistently I'm able to boot OK now.

3.18.3-201 does not work on my setup (nvidia).  I removed the nvidia blob, going
back to nouveau.  I tried adding 'nomodeset' to cmdline.  It seems to be a video
issue - last thing is says is 'waiting for plymouth to quit'.  Hitting alt-ctrl-
del the machine does respond and shuts down.

--
-- Those who don't understand recursion are doomed to repeat it