Load Kernel Modules Failure

Stephen Morris samorris at netspace.net.au
Mon Jan 26 21:30:47 UTC 2015

On 01/25/2015 07:40 PM, Heinz Diehl wrote:
> On 25.01.2015, Stephen Morris wrote:
>
>> Immediately after booting from the grub menu in F21 the first message I
>> get is   'Failure to start Load Kernel Modules'.  Does anyone know what this
>> message means and how I rectify it?
> Welcome to another systemd madness!
>
> First, check if "systemctl status systemd-modules-load.service" can give you any useful
> output. Eventually, this is what causes the above message, as far as I can see.
>
> Does your machine boot? If it does, you could have missing module dependencies
> in initrd. Also take a look into /etc/modules-load.d/ if there is something added which has
> missing dependencies. If you are able to detect what's missing, you could load it
> manually and recreate a new initrd (dracut -f).

I may have bigger problems than missing dependencies, I just did an ls
on /etc/modules-load.d and it is empty. If there are supposed to be
files in that directory I have no idea why there aren't, unless fedup
didn't work properly. This issue is also not restricted to the latest
kernel, it has been happening for several kernels, but the system seems
to boot fine.
What I can't guarantee is whether or not this message has been appearing
ever since the fedup upgrade, as being the very first message that seems
to disappear very quickly amongst the scrolling messages that are shown
before plymouth attempts to display is full screen animated image (which
fails miserably in F21) its not easy to see unless you are looking for
it explicitly.