WiFi

poma pomidorabelisima at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 23:27:28 UTC 2015

On 27.01.2015 21:21, Stephen Morris wrote:
> On 01/27/2015 09:30 AM, poma wrote:
>>> Thanks poma, I looked at those pages and they highlight a major problem.
>>> Looking at the list of Adapters on those pages they are either USB which
>>> I am having issues with, some of which are using the rtl8812AU chipset,
>>> pci devices which are using the rtl8812AU chipset (which is the chipset
>>> for which the driver won't make the kernel) or a BCM chipset which is
>>> listed on the driver pages as not being supported by the BCM driver, and
>>> there is one pci adapter using a BCM chipset that is not listed at all
>>> as far as I can see. So its looking like 802.11ac is still not properly
>>> supported yet in Linux, which is a bit disappointing considering it has
>>> been available since 2013 (assuming the Wikipedia page I looked at has
>>> not misprinted the date of release, which could be on the cards as the
>>> page says 802.11ad was released in 2012).
>>
>> IEEE 802.11ac, perhaps on some SoCs supported via DD-WRT & OpenWrt.
>> http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices
>> http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/start
>>
> Thanks poma, I had a look at those pages and they don't seem to help me
> much (unless I have read them wrong) as they seem to be specifically
> aimed at router support rather than adapter support which is my issue.
> The Belkin router I have also appears to not be supported by wrt either,
> so it looks like I might be behind the 8 ball on both fronts.

The afore-mentioned modules/chipsets (miniPCIe/(QC)A988/0/2) are an integral part of some of these routers,
actually they are intended for them.

"Attention : Atheros 11ac radio can't be used in PC or laptop, as atheros do not release such driver."
"WLE900V5-23 MUST use external 5V power, WPJ344 can provide external 5V.
 What I mean WLE900V5-23 must use 5V by using 5V cable from WPJ344"

http://compexshop.com/product_info.php/cPath/57_103/products_id/445
http://www.compex.com.sg:809/productdetailinfo.asp?model=WPJ344&acc1Panel=2
http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/compex/wpj344

However WLE600V5-23 probably needs only Mini PCI Express / PCI Express Adapter for PC.
Of course, it's up to you to check it - ask retailer and devs.
http://compexshop.com/product_info.php/cPath/57_103/products_id/447

Everything related to this thread you do so at your own risk and expense.

Good luck again.