No sound in Skype on Fedora 64-bit

jd1008 jd1008 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 00:08:58 UTC 2015

On 01/27/2015 04:53 PM, Jim Lewis wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
>    I realize this has probably been asked before but I am somewhat new to
> this group. I wanted to try out Skype so installed lpf-skype. Everything
> went fine. The sound test didn't play any sounds, but I can connect and
> even see the other person so that's cool. No, I did not expect it to get
> this far :).
>
>    I researched this sound issue and found that it can possibly be solved
> by installing some 32-bit components:
>
>    yum -y install libv4l.i686 pulseaudio-libs.i686
> alsa-plugins-pulseaudio.i686
>
>    However, when I ran this I got the dreaded:
>
> Error:  Multilib version problems found. This often means that the root
>         cause is something else and multilib version checking is just
>         pointing out that there is a problem. Eg.:
>
>           1. You have an upgrade for libv4l which is missing some
>              dependency that another package requires. Yum is trying to
>              solve this by installing an older version of libv4l of the
>              different architecture. If you exclude the bad architecture
>              yum will tell you what the root cause is (which package
>              requires what). You can try redoing the upgrade with
>              --exclude libv4l.otherarch ... this should give you an error
>              message showing the root cause of the problem.
>
>           2. You have multiple architectures of libv4l installed, but
>              yum can only see an upgrade for one of those architectures.
>              If you don't want/need both architectures anymore then you
>              can remove the one with the missing update and everything
>              will work.
>
>           3. You have duplicate versions of libv4l installed already.
>              You can use "yum check" to get yum show these errors.
>
>         ...you can also use --setopt=protected_multilib=false to remove
>         this checking, however this is almost never the correct thing to
>         do as something else is very likely to go wrong (often causing
>         much more problems).
>
>         Protected multilib versions: libv4l-1.6.2-1.fc21.i686 !=
> libv4l-1.6.0-1.fc21.x86_64
>

>      I understand most of this, I would just like some advice on what the
> best solution is.
>
>      Of course the BEST solution would be to have a 64-bit version of Skype
> for Fedora. Not sure why that is taking so long. Does someone just
> need to volunteer to do the port? If it's written in C I'll do it.
>

> Jim Lewis

I am running Version 4.3.0.37 (32 bit) and running on fc21 64 bit.
It has he following dependencies:

Requires:      config(skype) = 4.3.0.37-2.el6
Requires:      libQtCore.so.4
Requires:      libQtCore.so.4
Requires:      libQtDBus.so.4
Requires:      libQtDBus.so.4
Requires:      libQtGui.so.4
Requires:      libQtGui.so.4
Requires:      libQtNetwork.so.4
Requires:      libQtNetwork.so.4
Requires:      libQtWebKit.so.4
Requires:      libQtWebKit.so.4
Requires:      libQtXml.so.4
Requires:      libQtXml.so.4
Requires:      libX11.so.6
Requires:      libX11.so.6
Requires:      libXext.so.6
Requires:      libXext.so.6
Requires:      libXss.so.1
Requires:      libXss.so.1
Requires:      libXv.so.1
Requires:      libXv.so.1
Requires:      libasound.so.2
Requires:      libc.so.6
Requires:      libc.so.6
Requires:      libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.0)
Requires:      libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.1)
Requires:      libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.1.3)
Requires:      libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.2)
Requires:      libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.3)
Requires:      libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.3.2)
Requires:      libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.3.4)
Requires:      libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.4)
Requires:      libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.7)
Requires:      libdl.so.2
Requires:      libdl.so.2
Requires:      libdl.so.2(GLIBC_2.0)
Requires:      libdl.so.2(GLIBC_2.1)
Requires:      libgcc_s.so.1
Requires:      libgcc_s.so.1
Requires:      libgcc_s.so.1(GCC_3.0)
Requires:      libgcc_s.so.1(GLIBC_2.0)
Requires:      libm.so.6
Requires:      libm.so.6
Requires:      libm.so.6(GLIBC_2.0)
Requires:      libm.so.6(GLIBC_2.1)
Requires:      libpthread.so.0
Requires:      libpthread.so.0
Requires:      libpthread.so.0(GLIBC_2.0)
Requires:      libpthread.so.0(GLIBC_2.1)
Requires:      libpthread.so.0(GLIBC_2.2)
Requires:      libpthread.so.0(GLIBC_2.3.2)
Requires:      librt.so.1
Requires:      librt.so.1
Requires:      librt.so.1(GLIBC_2.2)
Requires:      libstdc++.so.6
Requires:      libstdc++.so.6
Requires:      libstdc++.so.6(CXXABI_1.3)
Requires:      libstdc++.so.6(GLIBCXX_3.4)
Requires:      libstdc++.so.6(GLIBCXX_3.4.9)
Requires:      libwebkit-1.0.so.2