No sound in Skype on Fedora 20 64-bit

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 08:46:20 UTC 2015

On 28 January 2015 at 02:53, Jim Lewis <jim at jklewis.com> wrote:

>> On 01/27/2015 06:37 PM, Jim Lewis wrote:
>>>   Okay, so I installed lpf-skype on Fedora 20 and also got the no sound
>>> problem. When I tried to fix it by doing what I did on F21:
>>>
>>> yum -y install pulseaudio-libs.i686 alsa-plugins-pulseaudio.i686
>>>

>>>   Protected multilib versions: pulseaudio-libs-5.0-25.fc20.i686 !=
>>> pulseaudio-libs-5.0-7.fc20.x86_64
>>>
>>>   How do I fix that one?

jd1008:
>> So, how did you install lpf-skype?
>> If you used yum, yum would have resolved all dependencies,
>> so you would not have had to install anything afterwards.
>>

>     I used yum to install lpf-skype.

It sounds like lpf-skype has its dependencies wrong as it probably
should be listing 32bit pulse (it'll run without it, but wont perform
its major function).

Your immediate problem though is getting the 32 bit pulse installed.
The bit you snipped from the error is telling you more about it
"Multilib version problems found. This often means that the root
cause is something else and multilib version checking is just
pointing out that there is a problem."

For some reason yum has determined it would be trying to install a
different version of 32bit pulseaudio-libs (5.0-25) to the 64bit one
(5.0-7). Normally it would just update the 64bit one so both are the
same version, something is preventing it from doing that.
Possibilities:
Something with a dependency on the older 64 bit version that doesn't
have an update available. Third party repositories or packages
installed without a repository are the likely culprits. - In this case
if you can find and remove the blocking package then you'll be able to
update, but you may not be able to reinstall.
Repo metadata is not properly updated yet and the newer 32bit library
is visible while the newer 64bit is not. In this case just waiting and
trying again later will probably work.
In either case you could get around it by installing the older 32bit
version, telling yum to install pulseaudio-libs-5.0-7.fc20.i686
(provided it's still available), though if something is holding you at
the older version you will run into it again at some point.

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk