Suddenly can't get nameserver resolution on FC21 after ...

William W. Austin airedad at att.net
Wed Jan 28 15:02:13 UTC 2015

I have a Linux workstation with 2 network cards - one to get to the internet (so that I can work remotely from my home office) and one for my local lan (other machines, printers, etc.)

About a week ago I updated it from FC20 to FC21 and had absolutely no problems. Everything was working smoothly and I was able to use both networks with no problems.  Then one of my 2 network cards "died" (SIDS I think) and I replaced it with another of a different model.   I did have to system-config-network-gui to set the network parameters correctly and for two days it ran fine.

I have checked my ifcfg-* files under /etc/sysconfig/ (all 3 links of each of the 2 nics) and they are unchanged.
My /etc/hosts file is unchanged, and there is nothing in /var/log messages to indicate what the problem is (nor does dmesg show anything unexpected).

In short I have a heavy-duty workstation which should be able to connect to the internet but can't.

Any suggestions will be appreciated, and any requests for further information will be answered.  This one is driving me crazy at this point.

Thanks in advance,
 - wwa
william w. austin                                     airedad at att.net
"life is just another phase i'm going through. this time, anyway ..."