End of 32-bit support?

poma pomidorabelisima at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 15:00:54 UTC 2015

On 29.01.2015 14:52, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 28, 2015 at 06:00:28PM +0100, poma wrote:
>>>
>>> Sometimes Red Hat business partners, but that doesn't mean that it's at
>>> Red Hat's direction. Overall, this is one of the few areas where we
>>> have money and paid effort flowing into the project that *isn't* coming
>>> from Red Hat, and I don't think that's a bad thing. These are
>>> "community folks" too, at least if we're doing it right.

>>> But aarch64 and 32-bit arm are _completely_ different architectures.

>>> I can't argue with feelings, but I also am not really sure what
>>> separation you're looking for here and how it would affect this.

>>> I don't think that's true at all. It signficantly increases QA load,
>>> and we're struggling a lot with release engineering being able to cope
>>> with Fedora at its current scale. Cutting back here has an clear
>>> benefit (whether or not it's significant enough to outweigh the other
>>> wide isn't settled, of course). More significantly, the Fedora kernel
>>> team tells me that _they_ don't feel like they have the resources to
>>> really honestly support the 32-bit kernel — and the rest all falls out
>>> from that.
>>>

>> You write as if you - Fedora/Red Hat lack people capable of
>> maintaining the kernel as if it were something special - they are
>> not kernel developers.  What Josh works except to maintains the
>> kernel?
>
> I can't parse this last sentence correctly.  Are you asking what Josh
> does other than maintain the kernel?  Or are you asking something else?

Ecco una traduzione in inglese di aver compreso:

Fedora kernel position 	[Jan. 27th, 2015|10:22 am]

As you might have seen Paul blog about, Red Hat has an immediate opening for a Fedora kernel maintainer position on my team. This is actually a fairly rare thing, as we don't have a lot of churn in our department and most of the engineering positions we hire for are primarily RHEL roles. If you have kernel experience and love working on fast-paced and frequently updated kernels, then this might be a good role for you.

The job writeup is accurate in terms of what we expect, but it is also kind of broad. That is primarily because the role is too. Yesterday davej wrote a bit about how working on a Fedora kernel is like getting a 10,000ft view of everything. It's actually a really good analogy, and Dave would know as he did it longer than anyone. We deal with a lot of varied issues, on an even more varied set of hardware. This isn't a traditional development job. Being curious and willing to learn is key to enjoying a distro kernel maintainer role.

That being said, we're also looking at ways to make a bigger impact both upstream and in Fedora itself. Filling this position is a key part of that and I'm excited to see how it plays out. If you're interested in it, please don't hesitate to send me questions via email or on IRC. Also be sure to apply via the online job posting here:

http://jobs.redhat.com/jobs/descriptions/fedora-kernel-engineer-westford-massachusetts-job-1-5076703