chown ?

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Fri Jan 30 22:21:10 UTC 2015

On 30Jan2015 13:07, Joe Zeff <joe at zeff.us> wrote:
>On 01/30/2015 12:45 PM, Mickey wrote:
>>I have a User Directory named  "kitty" I want to change all the
>>directories. files to the owner kitty .
>>There are some other owners of files that I want to change to kitty.
>>
>>chown -R kitty  kitty:kitty
>>
>>Is this Correct ?
>
>Not according to man chown it isn't.  You have it backwards:
>
>chown -R kitty:kitty kitty

And this follows a general pattern. Most commands have the rough form:

  command [options/paramaters...] targets...

Your "kitty" directory is a target: it is what chown will work on.

"kitty:kitty" is a parameter; it says what to do.

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <cs at zip.com.au>

Who's chopper is that?  It's Zed's.
Where is Zed?           Zed's dead, baby.       - Pulp Fiction