DRM MM Objects?

Andy Blanchard zocalo at gmail.com
Sat Jan 31 23:49:16 UTC 2015

Just upgraded a box at home to new hardware with embedded Intel
graphics (i5 Haswell), did a clean install of Fedora 21, and while
poking around trying to fix a few issues while rebuilding my config
spotted something I've not noticed before.  With KDE running "lsof"
lists over a thousand entries like this:

Xorg.bin   659  662    root  DEL       REG                0,4
      16016 /drm mm object
Xorg.bin   659  662    root  DEL       REG                0,4
      16011 /drm mm object
kwin       964        zocalo  DEL       REG                0,4
       38725 /drm mm object
kwin       964        zocalo  DEL       REG                0,4
       19275 /drm mm object
QProcessM  964  986   zocalo  DEL       REG                0,4
       19277 /drm mm object
QProcessM  964  986   zocalo  DEL       REG                0,4
       47240 /drm mm object

These are the only three processes that appear to own these files, and
the number of entries appears to fluctuate as windows are
opened/closed, and other GUI events happen.

A Google search comes up with a bunch of stuff about memory leaks from
a few years ago, plus some documention on Kernel memory management,
but I couldn't find anything that explains what these "/drm mm object"
entries are, whether this is normal behaviour, or if there is
potentially a problem.

Any ideas?

--
Andy

The only person to have all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe