How do you store a Live Feed from a guitar

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 10:25:19 UTC 2015

On 1 July 2015 at 10:11, Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA
<bobgoodwin at wildblue.net> wrote:

> On 01/07/15 00:08, Doug wrote:
>>>
>>> Any suggestions????
>>>
>>> Greg Ennis
>>>
>> I have seen ads for a setup that will record vinyl records from a
>> turntable
>> onto a PC thru a gizmo plugged into the USB port. If you were to find any
>> of the software that works with this, it may work with your guitar also.
>> You might need some sort of preamp between the guitar and the usb device,
>> but if it wants to work, you should hear _something_.
>>
>> --doug
>

> How about Audacity? I've used it to record voice announcements. It may look
> like overkill at first but you can do a lot with it, it's an audio editor.

Yes, audacity should work for basic recording (assuming that when Greg
says "but was not able to get any software that that was on my F22
machine to recognize the the live feed" he just means he couldn't find
software to do it, not that the USB capture device isn't working).

For more complicated work a DAW like Ardour (available in the repos)
will let you record different layers and samples, but you'll have to
use Jack. That will also let you do things like add effects and other
stuff like drum machines (e.g. Hydrogen). You may want to check out
these which I wrote a while back:
"Jacking in" section of
http://epenguin.imalone.co.uk/2012/04/breaking-in-fender-mustang.html
http://epenguin.imalone.co.uk/2011/10/jack-for-audio-passthrough-on-fedora-15.html