F22: rebooting to emergency mode

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Thu Jul 2 23:01:36 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jul 2, 2015 at 1:38 PM, Craig Goodyear <cjhs22a at cableone.net> wrote:
> On 07/01/2015 09:45 AM, Craig Goodyear wrote:
>>
>> I have done a fresh install of Fedora 22 on the same computer 4 times.
>> Each time, after using the system from 1 day to 3 days and having
>> successfully rebooted several times, a reboot results in being started
>> in emergency mode. This computer was running Fedora 21 since its release
>> without any problems. I am using an ASUS P9X79 Deluxe motherboard.
>>
>> I have tried installing to a new hard disk. I have tried a different
>> video card. I have run fsck on the hard disk after booting a live image.
>> No errors were found. Nothing I have tried has changed the result.
>>

> To close this thread. I think I have found the problem. Upon inspecting the
> BIOS settings, I found that I had not completely disabled UEFI support.

This is sub-optimal, and is basically used as a last ditch effort.
There is no actual way to disable UEFI, what actually happens, this
setting enables a compatibility support module that presents a
faux-BIOS to the OS to bridge between the OS and UEFI. So UEFI isn't
actually disabled, you've just added another layer.

What's really needed are logs, to troubleshoot why there's a boot
failure. What's supposed to happen if you're dropped to emergency mode
by dracut, is you get an rdsosreport.txt produced that typically
contains a bunch of information useful for troubleshooting.

--
Chris Murphy