F22: rebooting to emergency mode

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Fri Jul 3 21:21:56 UTC 2015

On Fri, Jul 3, 2015 at 6:43 AM, Craig Goodyear <cjhs22a at cableone.net> wrote:
> On 07/02/2015 06:01 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Jul 2, 2015 at 1:38 PM, Craig Goodyear <cjhs22a at cableone.net>
>> wrote:
>

>> What's really needed are logs, to troubleshoot why there's a boot
>> failure. What's supposed to happen if you're dropped to emergency mode
>> by dracut, is you get an rdsosreport.txt produced that typically
>> contains a bunch of information useful for troubleshooting.
>>

> I wish you had responded to my original request for help before I did a
> fresh install. I was not aware of the rdsosreport.txt file and emergency
> mode only refers to journalctl for troubleshooting. I will keep this in mind
> if the problem repeats.

If an rdsosreport.txt is created, there's a hint displayed where to
find it. If you're dropped to a shell, and nowhere on that screen is
such a hint, then it wasn't created, so you'll have to fake one up.
First you need  to mount a file system, like a USB stick. /mnt doesn't
exist so you can mount it at /sysroot and then:

journalctl -b -l -o short-monotonic > /sysroot/journal.txt

That'll write out the entire journal for just the current (failed)
boot, long format in case there's important stuff there, and use
monotonic time. All but -b are optional, but they make the log more
readable.

--
Chris Murphy