Fedora download and application

g geleem at bellsouth.net
Sat Jul 4 02:07:12 UTC 2015

On 07/03/15 20:55, jd1008 wrote:
> On 07/03/2015 06:58 PM, g wrote:
>> On 07/03/15 19:27, Chris Murphy wrote:
>> <<>>
>>
>>> Boot Windows to a recovery console, and chkdsk /f and then reboot.
>>> Defragment with Window's built in utility. Shrink with Window's built
>>> in utility. That's what I'd suggest. I wouldn't use any 3rd party
>>> utility for this, except maybe ntfsprogs in a bind.
>> .
>> i tried defragging and using win shrink utility, but it did not move
>> locked file down low enough to get desirable reduced size. iirc, it
>> only allowed shrinkage to about 80% of original.
>
> I did not use defragging.
> I just used the shrinkage util and it worked.
> I think the shrinkage util defrags and moves
> files/dirs as well. Not sure how it does that.
> My guess is that whatever part of the windows kernel
> assumes that certain dirs are at a particular location,
> it knows how to change that to the new location so
> kernel can access it.

_maybe_. but not true in my case.

shrinking did not move locked files or directories. in fact, at end of
shrink run, a message popped up stating that no more shrinkage could be
done because of locked files or directories.

--

peace out.

-+-
If Bill Gates got a dime for every time Windows crashes...
 ...oh, wait. He does. THAT explains it!
-+-
-+-

CentOS GNU/Linux 6.6