TB - Sort add-on

g geleem at bellsouth.net
Sun Jul 5 18:27:31 UTC 2015

On 07/05/15 12:22, jd1008 wrote:
> On 07/04/2015 10:02 PM, g wrote:
>> On 07/04/15 22:10, jd1008 wrote:
>>> Looked for an add-on that will sort a folder by date (not for display
>>> purposes)
>>> but to physically re-organize a floder's messages so that they are
>>> sorted from oldest
>>> to most recent.
>>>
>>> Any info on that?
>> .
>> that ability is already available with;
>>
>>       View > Sort by > { personal selections }
>>

> Cameron reiterated that it is only a visual sort, and does
> not modify the inbox contents by the sort.
.
agreed. read my post;

    Date: Sun, 05 Jul 2015 02:13:41 -0500

several years ago, i had similar need as you and found that to get a
physical chronological sort order, it must be done manually using
drag and drop.

i did verified that thunderbird devs did not write their move or copy
functions to move or copy by sort order.

to make drag and drop easier, what i ended up doing was to use color
tagging to show sequential of the emails.

to explain:

 1- the emails in sort folder were not tagged.
 2- emails in each folder that i copied into sort folder were tagged
    with a unique color.
 3- sort folder was set to sort by date giving obvious grouping by
    the grouping of color.
 4- emails that were not grouped were moved individually to physical
    sort folder.
 5- emails that were grouped by color were moved by group to physical
    sort folder.
 6- after physical sort folder was completed, i deleted original folders
    that i copied from.

a tedious process, but i did end up with emails in a true physical
chronological order.

if you think about what all would be required to create an add-on that
would do such a sort, you would probably agree that it would be a task
that near all of the add-on devs are unable to reason how to do such.

to my thinking, it would be rather involved writing such a routine in
c/c++ or any other language.

if i were more versed with c/c++, i would write it to first make a scan
of 'date and time' and 'message id' of emails, then sort that info to
chronological order.

next would be to use that order to individually move/copy the emails to
a sorted file.

sounds simple, but it is involved.

--

peace out.

-+-
If Bill Gates got a dime for every time Windows crashes...
 ...oh, wait. He does. THAT explains it!
-+-
-+-

CentOS GNU/Linux 6.6