Thunderbird question

jd1008 jd1008 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 5 20:07:38 UTC 2015

On 07/05/2015 01:45 PM, Gordon Messmer wrote:
> On 07/04/2015 02:16 PM, jd1008 wrote:
>> On 07/04/2015 03:00 PM, Gordon Messmer wrote:
>>> If you're connecting over IMAP, you can delete the cache:
>>> rm -rf .thunderbird/*.default/ImapMail/imap.googlemail.com*
>> Using pop - I had had undesireable experience with Imap,
>> so I switched to pop. One of the reasons was that I needed
>> to re-read old messages in situations where I had no internet
>> access.
>
> In that case, you can probably leave that in place, but set up a
> second Gmail profile using IMAP, temporarily.  IMAP has access to the
> full message store, and you can copy the messages locally.  I don't
> know of a way to make Thunderbird download your mail otherwise.  Maybe
> move everything to the Inbox would work?  It's hard to say.
>
> Either way, you can configure IMAP to keep a copy of all mail locally,
> and I believe that's the default.  Access to mail while offline should
> work just fine with IMAP.
Google will not let me do that :(
I already tried.
I have no idea why gmail is not letting TB to connect to same account
(using a different profile that uses IMAP instead of POP).

>>> Though this should be a reminder that backups matter.
>> Goes without saying :)
>> I boldly ran the repair without first backing up Inbox :)
>
> By that time, it was already too late.  Backing up corrupt data really
> doesn't do you much good.  You needed a backup from before it became
> corrupt.  So, I'll restate my original point:
>
> *Regular* backups matter.  Don't skip them.  Don't leave them until
> you feel like you might need them.  Run backups on a predictable,
> regular schedule.
>
>>> Also consider using Maildir instead of the default Berkeley format:
>>> https://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird/Maildir
>>>
>> Not sure what that gives me.
>> Does is turn each message into a separate file?
>> If so, not for me.
>
> Yes, Maildir keeps each message in a separate file.  It's much less
> likely to become corrupt than mbox.
>
> With mbox, any time you remove a message from a folder (either
> deleting it or moving it to another folder), the entire mbox file has
> to be re-written.  If you delete/move a message from a very large
> folder, that can generate a lot of disk activity, and creates a long
> window in which an interruption can corrupt the folder.  With Maildir,
> all operations should be atomic.  An interruption should never destroy
> an entire folder.
I had tried evolution mail client, which used a mail dir.
Did not like the evolution interface, so I switched to TB.
It was long ago, and I do not even recall what it was I did not like
about :)