Thunderbird question

Gordon Messmer gordon.messmer at gmail.com
Sun Jul 5 20:38:00 UTC 2015

On 07/05/2015 01:23 PM, Joe Zeff wrote:
> Not so.  The message is still there, but it's marked in the index as
> deleted.  The file isn't re-written until it's compacted.

I know.  And that reduced the frequency of the re-write somewhat, but it
doesn't change it fundamentally.  Removing a message from a folder
eventually requires that the entire folder data file be re-written, and
that is usually when mbox files become corrupt.  If the index is
damaged, it'll become corrupt.  If the operation is interrupted, it may
become corrupt.  mbox is a fairly fragile format, and one the scales
very poorly.