Thunderbird question

g geleem at bellsouth.net
Mon Jul 6 03:09:49 UTC 2015

On 07/04/15 15:44, jd1008 wrote:
<<>>

> Well, now I must ask the list that since the messages that disappeared
> running the Repair folder in TB, are still on the gmail server.
>
> How can I get TB to download them all?
>
> Is there something I can do to TB or to my gmail account on
> mail.google.com that will make TB re-download them?
.
please excuse the delay in replying to your question. something came up
that needed my attention.

i have not read all post to this thread, so this question may have already
been answered.

in the account directory of pop3 servers is a file named 'popstate.dat'.

this file is a record of email downloads and has form of;

  # POP3 State File
  # This is a generated file!  Do not edit.

  *inbound.att.net geleem at bellsouth.net
  k AFm/imIAAc7mVZnAUgsAaAaAK/M 1436139771
  k AJG/imIAABRjVZmJUAIygF2hc2w 1436130430

the last 2 lines shown are the records of the emails downloaded. the
value after the lone "k" is know as the "X-UIDL:" and is in the first
few lines of an email header.

to re-download emails, 1st, put thunderbird in 'offline' state, then
close thunderbird, open a file browser to the email account directory,
make a backup copy of the file "popstate.dat".

next, open "popstate.dat" file with a _plain_text_ editor, remove all
of the "X-UIDL:" lines, save file.

reopen thunderbird, open "Account Settings", disable *all* email
accounts except for gmail account.

highlight gmail account, enable online state, click "Get Mail" icon,
all your gmail emails should download.

if above does not happen, it is because gmail is preventing it.

after downloading emails, re-enable all email accounts.

you can manually remove dupes, or you can then install an add-on to
thunderbird to remove dupes. there are 2 to chose from. which ever
churns you butter better. ;-)

hth.

--

peace out.

-+-
If Bill Gates got a dime for every time Windows crashes...
 ...oh, wait. He does. THAT explains it!
-+-
-+-

CentOS GNU/Linux 6.6