No audio using skype

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Tue Jul 7 00:23:34 UTC 2015

On 07/06/2015 03:40 PM, jd1008 wrote:
> skype-4.3.0.37
>
> Tried several test calls.
>
> No audio!
>
> Looked at options-> Audio device.
> It only shows virtual device, and no drop down menu for any other device.

Make sure Skype is using PulseAudio server (local) for all three of
options (mic, speakers, ringing). Click on the "Open PulseAudio Volume
Control".

While that's open, click "Make a test sound" on Skype and while the VU
meter associated with Skype's sounds displays in the PulseAudio window,
select the correct output sink device. You have to be quick (it's one
thing I hate about Pulse--chasing transient sounds like this).
-    I'm telling you that the kernel is stable not because it's a    -
-    kernel, but because I refuse to listen to arguments like this.  -
-                                              -- Linus Torvalds     -