iptables with logging vs denyhosts

dwoody5654 dwoody5654 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 16:09:17 UTC 2015

On 07/07/2015 05:07 AM, sberg at mississippi.com wrote:
> Have you looked at fail2ban?  It watches /var/log/secure for break in attempts/failed logins and dynamically adds iptables rules to block the bad guys.  It will do (automatically) pretty much what you're doing manually.
Thanks for your quick response.
Looked at fail2ban per your recommendation. It does monitor more ports
than denyhosts. So I looked at how many different ports have been
attacked on my computer, a total of over 4200.

Are these additional ports of no consequence? Or is it still good to
lock the requesting ip address out?

You did not say whether my ip table setup was adequate or not so I
presume that it is.

Thanks,

David