OT Password problem -

jd1008 jd1008 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 23:56:58 UTC 2015

On 07/08/2015 03:47 PM, Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA wrote:

> I bought a used Dell Latitude E4310 that I want to replace Windows7 on
> with Fedora-22. Unfortunately the BIOS is locked and I do not have the
> admin password for it. A phone call to Dell was unproductive and none
> of the passwords offered in an on-line application work. Does anyone
> know what I can do to access this computer. I can return it, bought
> through Newegg, but it looks good so far, in new condition and the
> price is right. It even has a working battery.
>
> I considered opening it and removing the bios battery which I assume
> would return it to the default conditions which I believe is no
> password set.
>
> Any suggestions appreciated,
>
> Bob

Had an identical problem.
I called Dell and the took me through some BIOS steps
while I was on the phone with them.
The gave me the BIOS passwd and I was able to reset BIOS
to the settings I wanted.
You have to have with you all the numbers they will ask for,
They are usually on the bottom of the laptop and beneath
the battery. So be prepared to remove the battery and
give them those numbers.
Better yet, write them all down on paper before you call them.
800-624-9896