OT Password problem -

Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Thu Jul 9 09:38:58 UTC 2015

On 08/07/15 19:59, jd1008 wrote:

> On 07/08/2015 03:47 PM, Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA wrote:
>>

>> I bought a used Dell Latitude E4310 that I want to replace Windows7
>> on with Fedora-22. Unfortunately the BIOS is locked and I do not have
>> the admin password for it. A phone call to Dell was unproductive and
>> none of the passwords offered in an on-line application work. Does
>> anyone know what I can do to access this computer. I can return it,
>> bought through Newegg, but it looks good so far, in new condition and
>> the price is right. It even has a working battery.
>>
>> I considered opening it and removing the bios battery which I assume
>> would return it to the default conditions which I believe is no
>> password set.
>>
>> Any suggestions appreciated,
>>
>> Bob
>>
> Also, since you already have win7, the installed
> win7 is registered to your laptop.
> You might want to dd the win7 partition to a usb
> drive and save it.
> You might even be able to sell it along with the activation
> code on the sticker beneath the laptop.

.

I guess it might be good to save it, I'll probably give that a try.

However I rarely run Windows and I am lost when I do ...

I called Dell first, the first guy spoke good English and took all the
information but did not handle the Latitude line and put me on to
another whom I could barely understand but it was obvious that I need to
establish ownership. I just filled out the data required at
Dell.com/transfer, the address he provided. Dunno where that will go. I
have tried other on-line avenues such as a Dell page that wants the
service tag number and returns several passwords "that might work" but
didn't.

Newegg's vendor is ZoomUSA, I only received the computer yesterday
afternoon but will try contacting them later this morning.

As I probably mentioned, I would prefer not to return/exchange since it
is used and this one looks to be in like new condition, odds are I would
not do as well in an exchange.

Thanks,

Bob

--