telnet session closing with ^]

Gordon Messmer gordon.messmer at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 17:42:10 UTC 2015

On 07/09/2015 10:27 AM, Martin Cigorraga wrote:
> Sometimes you simply can't ssh - like when you need to test a
> connection to a web server or a DDBB.
> As I see it, telnet is far from dying.

Use "nc" (provided by nmap-ncat).

When you're connecting to a non-telnet service, you just need a TCP
connection.  Telnet isn't that.  Telnet is actually a protocol of its
own, with infrastructure to propagate environment variables, and
communicate terminal size changes, etc, across an interactive shell
session.  For simple TCP connections, it's the wrong tool.