telnet session closing with ^]

Matthew Woehlke mwoehlke.floss at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 14:38:04 UTC 2015

On 2015-07-10 09:26, Maurizio Marini wrote:
> Very often I check smtp server for any issue using
> telnet mailserver 25
>
> pop3 server, too, to check credentials, when a customer complain: server says
> my credentials are wrong
>
> I telnet pop3 server on port 100 and I realize he is using wrong credentials
>
> and many other amenities....
>
> for sure I don't use telnet instead of ssh, of course :)

*But*, as Gordon pointed out, those *aren't* telnet servers, and you'd
probably do better to use 'nc' than 'telnet'. While 'nc' isn't exactly
feature-filled, you're not able to *use* any telnet features with things
that aren't telnet servers anyway, so you really aren't losing anything.

(Admittedly, I've done the same thing... it's habit, and habits die
hard. This is one worth breaking, though; 'nc' should exit with a ^D,
which Konsole won't eat. Or had better not, because that would be a
serious bug if it did.)

--
Matthew