Fedora21/22 grub doesn't recognize my raid1/LVM partitions

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Sun Jul 12 00:07:17 UTC 2015

On Sat, Jul 11, 2015 at 4:25 PM, John Wright <jwright2 at san.rr.com> wrote:

> I have 2 500G hard drives partitioned with a few 'normal' partitions
> for /boot, swap, etc but mostly in a raid 1 array, which is divided
> into several LVM partitions.  For many Fedora releases, I have done
> fresh installs, preserving the /home LVM partition, and rotating the
> root partition among several 30-40G LVM partitions for /. This has
> always worked splendidly until Fedora 21/22.  Recently I decided that
> it was time to move up to Fedora 22, and with failing that, to
> Fedora 21. I have tried several Fedora 22 and Fedora 21.
> live install disks (desktop, server) and the server isos.  With the
> live disks, the installer doesn't see my existing LVM partitions,
> so I can't try to install into them.  With the 21 and 22 server
> isos, the installer sees the LVM partitions and appears to proceed
> normally, but the final reboot boots into a grub rescue shell, and
> the only partition visible to this shell is my /boot partition. I
> also tried the Fedora 22 netinstall iso, which also ultimately
> resulted in reboot into the grub rescue shell.
>
> I have googled several variations of 'grub doesn't recognize LVM
> partitions' without turning up anything helpful.
>
> Have there been changes to the LVM software that might result in
> an incompatibility between grub and older LVM versions?

I'm pretty sure GRUB doesn't understand LVM thin volumes, and maybe
not LVM RAID. But otherwise there are no changes I'm aware of that
would prevent this from working. It sounds more likely there's some
sort of udev or multipath confusion at boot time from lives that's
helping to cause misidentification.

All I can suggest is to file a bug report against anaconda. Boot the
live media, launch the installer, go to custom partitioning, and then
before changing anything, drop to tty2, go into /tmp and collect the
logs. What I usually do is:
tar -acf f22analogs.tar.gz *log
scp f22analogs.tar.gz chris at blah.local:~/Desktop/

And there untar it, and file a bug, attaching each log file as a
separate attachment. Then post the bug URL here.

If I get a moment to reproduce it in Rawhide, then I'll update the bug
and hopefully it gets fixed for Fedora 23. Assuming it's a bug. It's
also possible I'll find a work around, in which case I'll put that in
the bug report also.

--
Chris Murphy