rebooting with new kernel

Paul Cartwright pbcartwright at gmail.com
Sun Jul 12 14:43:08 UTC 2015

On 07/12/2015 10:24 AM, Chris Murphy wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 12, 2015 at 4:43 AM, Paul Cartwright <pbcartwright at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I did a dnf update, got the new kernel,
>> uname -a
>> Linux pauls-server 4.0.7-300.fc22.x86_64 #1 SMP Mon Jun 29 22:15:06 UTC
>> 2015 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>>

>> rebooted and... a blinking cursor on a black background..
>> this seems to happen everytime now when I get a new kernel in F22,
>> x86_64. So I boot a boot-repair CD, redo the grub, and reboot with a
>> grub menu.
>> my F22 is /dev/sdb6, and when I do a grub2-mkconfig it finds all of my
>> OSes on sda & sdb. once I manually do the grub2-mkconfig & grub2-install
>> /dev/sda I can reboot & grub shows all of my OSes. But if I just do the
>> dnf update, get a new kernel, and reboot.. blank. Not sure what the
>> update does, but it obviously takes out my grub install, not sure what
>> it replaces it with. what should I look for, or what am I doing wrong?
> Chances are it's a bug. All you did was accept and update, and then
> the update broke boot.
could very well be that..

> At the GRUB menu instead of waiting for the timeout or hitting return
> on the default option, hit e to edit the entry, find the linux16 or
> linuxefi line, go to the end and remove quiet rhgb, and then F10 or
> Control-X to boot and see if you get some messages that make it more
> clear what's going on. From the description I can't even tell if the
> problem is a GRUB failure or a kernel or initramfs failure.
problem is, only a blinking cursor, no grub menu.. that's my problem.
I know how to edit grub menus using e..  since I have multiple ( mostly
linux) OSes, grub gets updated every now & then, and I use "e" to make
sure I am booting the latest kernel.

> A kernel update runs grubby which modifies grub.cfg. There is nothing
> that grubby does that grub2-install would fix. Whereas grub2-mkconfig
> obliterates the grubby modified grub.cfg, and writes a new one from
> scratch in its place.

after a kernel update, I always do :
$ ls -l /boot
ls -l /boot/grub2/

and they are always updated after the kernel install.. so it seems maybe
grubby is screwing up..

--
Paul Cartwright