F20 -> F21 netinstall raid1 does not find /dev/root

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Sun Jul 12 18:37:00 UTC 2015

On Sun, Jul 12, 2015 at 10:33 AM, dwoody5654 <dwoody5654 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have done several netinstalls on other computers with no problem.
> However, the computer I am having a problem with has raid1.
> For the set root entry I have tried:
> copied set root from other menu entries
> set root='hd0,msdos1'
> When the error message no /dev/root drops to dracut I have done
> 'ls -l /dev/by-label*' and set root = to the uuid
>
> All with no luck in getting past the /dev/root error
>
> Searching for a solution to this problem has found nothing.
>
> What am I missing?

I don't understand if you're getting this post-install, or when
booting the netinstall media on a system with pre-existing mdadm
raid1? You shouldn't have to make any modifications to the grub menu
entry in either case, so I don't know why you think you need to do
that.

The fact you're getting to a dracut prompt suggests this is not a
problem with the bootloader not finding its root (set root in GRUB
speak is referring to its root, i.e. the device and partition that
/boot/grub2 is located on); it's sounding more like a problem with
mounting sysroot, which suggests either a problem with the grub
root=UUID= value (which should be for the fs volume UUID as reported
by blkid, not a partition UUID), or a problem with fstab, or a problem
with assembling the raid.

Most useful would be putting the rdsosreport.txt that dracut usually
prepares in such cases, it will tell you at the dracut prompt where
this is, it should be in /run/, but if one isn't generated maybe most
of the useful information can be found with:

journalctl -b -l -o short-monotonic > journal.log
blkid > blkid.txt

scp those somewhere, or copy to usb stick, and then post them
somewhere and then a URL in this thread where to find them.

--
Chris Murphy