Fedora21/22 grub doesn't recognize my raid1/LVM partitions

John Wright jwright2 at san.rr.com
Sun Jul 12 23:28:19 UTC 2015

From: Chris Murphy <lists at colorremedies.com>
To: Community support for Fedora users <users at lists.fedoraproject.org>
Subject: Re: Fedora21/22 grub doesn't recognize my raid1/LVM
         partitions

>There are messages in the storage.log about md126 and md127 being
>degraded. That would be a problem for discovering anything on those,
>even if they come up OK degraded, Anaconda won't install to degraded
>arrays. But I also don't know what messages you get about this, it
>should give an error message rather than silently fail.

Chris,

Thanks for the help!

Speaking of error messages - there _was_ an error message at the
beginning of the install-to-disk process; but I had ignored it since
it said something like 'problem found and corrected', or words to
that effect. (Wipes egg off face.)  When I booted the live install
again to get the data you requested, I payed more attention, and it
led me to BZ bug # 1225671, which seems highly apropos.

>Two things to update the bug with. What live media installer does see
>this correctly? Was it Fedora 20 or Fedora 21? Or both? And then also,
>if you boot the Fedora 22 Workstation (live) media, launch the
>installer, go to custom partitioning, drop to shell - capture:
>
>cat /proc/mdstat > mdstat.txt
>mdadm -Dv /dev/md126 > md126.txt
>mdadm -Dv /dev/md127 > md127.txt
>journalctl -b -l -o short-monotonic > journal.log
>
>scp those off machine or cp elsewhere and attach those to the bug too.
>For the mdadm commands, make sure you use the md device designation
>returned by the first command. I'm pretty sure it'll be md126 and
>md127 again, but I suppose that could change on subsequent boots.
>
>Chris Murphy

Fedora 20 installed with no problems from install iso.  I have
not tried F 20 live media; only reason I tried the live media
with F 22 was because that was what mostly is available.  Also
tried the F 22 server iso, which seemed to recognize and allow
me to select the LVM partitions, but then booted into grub rescue.

Have added the results you suggested to the bug.  There is no
output from mdadm /dev/md126 or -127.  There are no /dev/md*
entries.

Thanks again, and apologies for not paying attention to that error
message earlier.

 	-jmw-