system response issue

g geleem at bellsouth.net
Tue Jul 14 00:52:49 UTC 2015

On 07/13/15 19:38, jd1008 wrote:
> On 07/13/2015 05:15 PM, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
<<>>

>> IIRC USB drives are not DMA driven, i.e. each filesystem block written
>> to the drive has to be pushed over the serial bus and handled by the
>> CPU. Also, check if the drive is mounted with the 'flush' option, which
>> sacrifices speed for greater integrity (i.e. less damage of the user
>> pulls the drive without ejecting it).
>>
>> poc
> Good tip. I will check next time when I rerun the test.

i agree with 'poc' 100% with both of his statements.

also, i think you might want to rethink your thinking.

you say you are connecting to a usb2 port and device is a usb3.

near all reading of spec for usb3 devices that will work on usb2
have a statement that thru put speeds will be less if used on usb2.

more for thought, is tar building finale file in memory, /tmp, or
on the usb3 drive?

--

peace out.

-+-
If Bill Gates got a dime for every time Windows crashes...
 ...oh, wait. He does. THAT explains it!
-+-
-+-

CentOS GNU/Linux 6.6