Fedora-22 KDE panel

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 12:34:13 UTC 2015

On Tue, 2015-07-14 at 14:19 +0200, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> I've just installed Fedora-22 from a Fedora-22 Live KDE usb stick.
> After dnf-installing a few packages, most things seem to be working,
> but I'm puzzled by the apparent lack of a panel,
> or if the bar at the top with Activities and Time are the panel
> then I'm puzzled by the lack of icons  in the panel.
>
> I read advice to right-click in the panel,
> but if this is the panel that has no effect.
>
> Also I miss the multiple desktops I had in Fedora-21 KDE.
> Have these been abolished in Plasma-5?
>
> A very ignorant question - I see everyone refers to KDE Plasma.
> Is there in fact another non-Plasma version of KDE
> that one could run under Fedora?

There have been some name changes, see
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KDE#Brand_repositioning:

"After the repositioning, the name KDE no longer stands for K Desktop
Environment, as it now acts as an umbrella brand for software produced
by the community. What would have been previously known as KDE 4 will
now be referred as "KDE Software Compilation 4" (abbreviated "KDE SC
4").[10] Regardless, many users still refer to it as KDE 4. With the
releases of Frameworks 5 and Plasma 5, the term "Software Compilation"
is again retired, in favor of the names of each specific product the
KDE community produces.[11] Many users still refer to various parts of
the project (particularly Plasma) as KDE 5."

So no, it doesn't make sense to have a KDE without Plasma. Also, note
that a further change has introduced the name "KDE Frameworks", which
is why most of the components are now called "kf5-*".

The Fedora KDE list would be the place to discuss this (I think you
also hang out there), see
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/kde

poc