Fedora-22 KDE panel

Dan Mossor danofsatx at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 14:31:39 UTC 2015

On 07/14/2015 08:16 AM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Ed Greshko wrote:
>
>> On 07/14/15 20:19, Timothy Murphy wrote:
>>> Also I miss the multiple desktops I had in Fedora-21 KDE.
>>> Have these been abolished in Plasma-5?
>>
>> In addition to what poc said, there are still multiple virtual desktops.
>> I'm running 6.  The one thing that is currently missing, and which may be
>> being  worked, is the inability to have different wallpaper on each
>> virtual desktop.
>>
>> Go to System-Settings--->Workspace--->Desktop Behavior--->Virtual Desktops
>> to define your desired settings.
>
> I don't have Workspace in my System-Settings -
> I only have Personal, Hardware and System.
> I seem to be missing something ...
>
> But is this bar at the top of my display a panel?
> It has 3 segments - Activities (on the left), which takes me to Favourites,
> Data/Time (in the center) which also tells me about e-mail arrivals,
> and a tray (on the right) which opens a small window with 3 icons
> which I take to be System Settings, Screen Lock, and Shutdown/Restart.
> (That is the only way I see to go to System Settings.)
>
> Some things work well in Fedora-22 -
> I don't mind writing dnf instead of yum (doesn't sound so nice)
> and it seems to be significantly faster.
> The display seems to me a little better on my ThinkPad T510.
> I was surprised that my Firefox, KNode and KMail settings
> were automatically updated - I assume that the data is saved
> somewhere in my home folder.
> The loss of the old panel is slightly annoying, but that is all.

The you don't have F22 Plasma, you have F22 Workstation. The desktop you
describe is the GNOME shell, not Plasma. When you log in, there should
be a selection of which desktop to launch - see if Plasma Workspaces is
listed there, if not, we can help you get it loaded.

--
Dan Mossor, RHCSA
Systems Engineer