Windows 8 Dual boot lost after Fedora upgrade

Gary Stainburn gary.stainburn at ringways.co.uk
Tue Jul 14 15:28:56 UTC 2015

After advice from Chris I've created the Windows recovery USB stick from

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

and run it choosing the system repair option.  I now have a working Windows 8
system on my laptop.

Unfortunately, it now boots straight into Windows and doesn't show the GRUB
menu.

If I press <F9> to get the boot menu I can select from

OS Boot Manager
Fedora (STT000LM014-1EJ164-SSHD)
Boot From EFI File

OS Boot Manager takes me into Windows
Fedora then shows me the GRUB menu and lets me boot Fedora

If I go into the BIOS menu and look at the boot sequence, OS Boot Manager is
at the top of the list, but there is no other option that would make the
Fedora / GRUB option the default. The full list is:

OS boot Manager
Internal CD/DVD ROM Drive
USB Diskette on key/USB Hard Disk
USB CD/DVD Drive

Having booted into Fedora I re-ran

grub2-mkconfig -o ~/Downloads/grub.cfg

hoping that it would now include WIndows, but it still does not. This means
that even if I get GRUB to be the default boot loader, I'll lose Windows
again.

Can anyone suggest where I can go next?

//boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot now also contains BCD and BCD.LOG files as well
as bootmgfw.efi