Windows 8 Dual boot lost after Fedora upgrade

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Tue Jul 14 16:26:27 UTC 2015

On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 9:28 AM, Gary Stainburn
<gary.stainburn at ringways.co.uk> wrote:
> After advice from Chris I've created the Windows recovery USB stick from
>
> http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media
>
> and run it choosing the system repair option.  I now have a working Windows 8
> system on my laptop.
>
> Unfortunately, it now boots straight into Windows and doesn't show the GRUB
> menu.
>
> If I press <F9> to get the boot menu I can select from
>
> OS Boot Manager
> Fedora (STT000LM014-1EJ164-SSHD)
> Boot From EFI File

On a new Dell XP 13 I had for a bit in January, it had two F keys to
use. One was for setup which is where the boot order could be
permanently changed. Another one was for just one-time boot and was
not persistent. So you'd need to dig around to find an option to make
it  persistent. Or you can do this from within Fedora using
efibootmgr. So you'd do:

efibootmgr -v
And then you'll see a BootOrder, and you can man efibootmgr to find
the proper flag for changing the boot order, and make Fedora first in
the list. But before you do that...

> Having booted into Fedora I re-ran
>
> grub2-mkconfig -o ~/Downloads/grub.cfg
>
> hoping that it would now include WIndows, but it still does not. This means
> that even if I get GRUB to be the default boot loader, I'll lose Windows
> again.

Clear+reset the terminal window. Then do:
bash -x grub2-mkconfig

Copy-paste the entire window results into a (gedit) text doc and post
a URL for us to take a look at it; it won't fit in the mail list. And
also post the contents of /etc/default/grub - this will fit in the
mail list.

--
Chris Murphy