rpmbuild error in F22 (looking for desktop file)

stan stanl-fedorauser at vfemail.net
Wed Jul 15 03:05:12 UTC 2015

On Tue, 14 Jul 2015 21:25:13 -0500
Ranjan Maitra <maitra.mbox.ignored at inbox.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am trying to make a rpm out of the following application:
>
> https://github.com/apandada1/typhoon
>
> but my spec file, created from looking at the batti.spec file looks
> for a desktop file, rather than a desktop.in file. What I don't
> understand is where it figures out how to look for a desktop file.
> Any suggestions/help? I don't have a lot of experience with rpmbuild
> and spec files.
>
> Here is the spec file:
>
> $ fpaste typhoon.spec
> Uploading (1.4KiB)...
> http://ur1.ca/n4lhh -> http://paste.fedoraproject.org/244462/14369268
>
> And here is the error that I am getting:
>
> $rpmbuild -bb typhoon.spec

> -> /home/maitra/rpmbuild/BUILDROOT/typhoon-0.8.9.4-1.fc22.x86_64/usr/share/doc/typhoon
> running install_egg_info
> Writing /home/maitra/rpmbuild/BUILDROOT/typhoon-0.8.9.4-1.fc22.x86_64/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/typhoon-0.8.94-py2.7.egg-info
> ("ERROR: Can't find",
> '/home/maitra/rpmbuild/BUILDROOT/typhoon-0.8.9.4-1.fc22.x86_64/usr/share/applications/typhoon.desktop')
> error: Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.X1IL6J (%install)
>

> RPM build errors:
>     Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.X1IL6J (%install)

Someone more knowledgeable will probably offer better advice.  But
here's my take.  If you look in the files section of the spec file, you
find the egg.info file listed.  And rpmbuild is obviously looking for
the files listed in there.  Go to the BUILD directory, and look inside
that file to see what it wants.

You can then put shell commands in the spec file to create dummy files
where they are expected using something like touch.  Or you can patch
the source to create them with real information, from a currently
running version, for example. That will allow rpmbuild to find the files
it wants, and create the rpms.