rpmbuild error in F22 (looking for desktop file)

Ranjan Maitra maitra.mbox.ignored at inbox.com
Wed Jul 15 05:27:53 UTC 2015

Thanks again!

> > So, from what I understood from your suggestions, I should look at:
> >
> > /home/maitra/rpmbuild/BUILDROOT/typhoon-0.8.9.4-1.fc22.x86_64/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/typhoon-0.8.94-py2.7.egg-info
> >
> > So, that is what I did but I can not see what the files are that it
> > wants. (I still can not see the desktop stuff.)
> >
> > $ more typhoon-0.8.94-py2.7.egg-info
> > Metadata-Version: 1.1
> > Name: typhoon
> > Version: 0.8.94
> > Author: Archisman Panigrahi
> > Author-email: apandada1 at gmail.com
> > License: GPL-3
> > It is contin uation of discontinued Stormcloud 1.1 ,however with some
> > changes. It is and alwa ys will be
> > free.
> >   PPA:
> > https://launchpad.net/~apandada1/+archive/typhoon/
> >        Homepage: http://gettyphoon.tk/
> > Platform: UNKNOWN
> > Requires: gi.repository.GObject
> > Requires: gi.repository.Gio
> > Requires: gi.repository.Gtk
> > Requires: gi.repository.Unity
> > Requires: gi.repository.WebKit
> > Provides: typhoon
> > Provides: typhoon_lib
> >
> > Where is any mention to desktop?
>
> I would guess that it would be part of the Requires: specs.
> Unity is probably a desktop for Ubuntu. Gtk for other desktops?
> Possibly GObject for Gnome?

I also don't know what the above repositories mean.

> You've exhausted my small store of knowledge.

Sorry, at least there is some sense in what you are saying.

> > > You can then put shell commands in the spec file to create dummy
> > > files where they are expected using something like touch.  Or you
> > > can patch the source to create them with real information, from a
> > > currently running version, for example. That will allow rpmbuild to
> > > find the files it wants, and create the rpms.
> >
> > I guess it might be helpful to know the difference between a desktop
> > and a desktop.in file. Could someone please tell me about this
> > difference?
>
> I can't help with this.  Do you have a currently installed version of
> this package that you can consult?  rpm -q --files [package name]

No. This software is under GPL and so I thought it might be interesting to see if it can be packaged for Fedora.

The app looks cool and the current developer (who I contacted) is a high school student but does not know much about packaging for Fedora. He did suggest using Alien for creating the spec file from the debian package (but he did not know much about it, and I had not even heard about it) so I passed on that. I also thought that perhaps the debian package needs a Debian machine.

Many thanks again!

Best wishes,
Ranjan