NetworkManager-openvpn and NetworkManager-openvpn-gnome

James Crace jmz at SDF.ORG
Wed Jul 15 06:59:06 UTC 2015

Hi,

I wiped my F21 Workstation and did a clean install of F22, only with the XFCE spin this time.

In F21 with GNOME, I had quite a few .ovpn files that I imported using NetworkManager. They worked fine.

In F22 with XFCE, NetworkManager would not import them, giving the error:

"Error: does not look like a Cisco AnyConnect Compatible VPN (openconnect) VPN connection (parse failed)"

This is with NetworkManager-openvpn installed. I was stumped, and after using dnf list NetworkManager* I saw
NetworkManager-openvpn-gnome. On a hunch, I installed it, and a new option shows up in NetworkManager for
"OpenVPN" and my .ovpn files are all successfully importing again.

What I'm wondering is why doesn't NetworkManager-openvpn provide the same functionality? Why do I have to
install the -gnome specific files (under XFCE) to get what one would assume comes with the -openvpn package?

It was easy to work around, but I'm just curious why NetworkManager-openvpn doesn't create an OpenVPN option
or allow users to import OpenVPN files.

Thanks,

jmz at sdf.org
SDF Public Access UNIX System - http://sdf.org