thunderbird+enigmail issue on fedora 21

François Patte francois.patte at mi.parisdescartes.fr
Fri Jul 17 08:15:43 UTC 2015

Le 16/07/2015 23:55, Ed Greshko a écrit :

> On 07/17/15 05:27, François Patte wrote:
>
>>> I am sure you didn't disable it in Fedora.  But it probably is
>>>  disabled in Debian.
>
>> I did! Because selinux sent a lot of error messages and no
>> information about how to avoid them...
>
> I see....
>
> So, if you did disable selinux in Fedora then what I thought was
> your problem probably isn't.
>

>>> If that is the case then there will be conflicts with files and
>>>  how they are created and such since Debian will most likely
>>> mess with the selinux file labels since its filesystem is
>>> unable to deal with them.

>>> The Z says to list the selinux contexts.  It would seem yours
>>> are messed up as I suspected.
>
>> So how to recover?
>
> If you're not using selinux, then there is no reason to "recover".
> That being said, since you are dual booting and if Debian isn't
> selinux aware then it will mess things up again as you switch back
> and forth.
>
> Such is the peril of using the same home between different distros
> doing things in different ways.

This is what I have done up to now, I have a 106Gb personal account
and don't want to waste time and disks to build a new account
everytime I change or update a distro. I begun with fedora (a long
time ago) and switch to debian when fedora made a new version of
anaconda which was unable to deal with raid+lvm (fedora 15 I think),
now I switch back to fedora because debian changed to systemd in a
very ugly way (services unavailable or buggy). I think that
mainteners/developpers should take care of all these "details"
carefully if they want to keep and develop linux for ordinary people
like me....

But this is off topic!

>> I did. Nothing has changed...
>
> So, not a selinux issue after all...

One thing I mentionned in my first mail: when I press the "send"
button to send a mail, nothing happens (no dialog box to ask the
passphrase is opened and the mail does not disappear) but
pinentry-curses crashes (using 100% of CPU). If I press this button
twice, another instance of pinentry-curses is opened (100% CPU also..)

If I kill pinentry-curses instance, TB opens a window saying that my
gpg key is not found or that the subkey may have expired.

TB find my gpg key if I go to Enigmail>Manage key

The sukey has not expired :
]$ gpg --edit-key francois.patte at mi.parisdescartes.fr
La clef secrète est disponible.

pub  1024D/D855D895  créé : 2005-03-14  expire : jamais
utilisation : SC
                     confiance : ultime        validité : ultime
sub  4096g/6116C29B  créé : 2005-03-14  expire : jamais
utilisation : E
[  ultime ] (1). Francois Patte <francois.patte at mi.parisdescartes.fr>
[  ultime ] (2)  Francois Patte (Universite)
<francois.patte at math-info.univ-paris5.fr>
[  ultime ] (3)  [jpeg image of size 3021]

Jamais means never...

>>> To make it easier on the "average" user?  :-)
>
>> And forbide to use an email address provider who is not in the
>> mozilla databases?
>

> But it isn't "forbidden".  You just have to configure manually.

How? When I press the "manually" button and enter my email address,
the answer is the same: provider not in mozilla database....

- --
François Patte
UFR de mathématiques et informatique
Laboratoire CNRS MAP5, UMR 8145