thunderbird+enigmail issue on fedora 21

François Patte francois.patte at mi.parisdescartes.fr
Fri Jul 17 13:33:47 UTC 2015

On 17/07/2015 14:17, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 07/17/15 18:39, François Patte wrote:
>> Le 17/07/2015 10:34, Ed Greshko a écrit :
>>> On 07/17/15 16:15, François Patte wrote:
>>>
>>> At the moment, I don't have an idea of what could be wrong with
>>> T-Bird+enigmail in your environment.  I've not seen a failure
>>> such as this one.  Thought it could be tied to selinux...but if
>>> you have it disabled on Fedora then that can't be it.  It still
>>> may be a strange interaction with having shared /home between
>>> distros.
>>>
>>> For a test, you may consider creating a new user under Fedora
>>> and configure anew.
>> So. I opened an account for John Doe, succeeded to configure TB
>> with my email address (<rant> You can use the button "manually
>> setup" only when TB searches in mozilla database, if you wait until
>> it has finished you are dead! That's a clever configuration with
>> does not fit so much with high speed connections...</rant>)
>>
>> 1-  [jd at dipankar ~]$ ls -Zd .gnupg/ drwx------. jd jd
>> unconfined_u:object_r:gpg_secret_t:s0 .gnupg//
>>
>> OK.
>>
>> 2- I transferred my gpg stuff from my account into jd's .gnupg
>> folder and tried to send a signed email... Same result: this does
>> not work but TB key manager is able to see the key, etc.
>>
>> 3- So, I generated a new gpg key for John Doe (with my email
>> address as id) and discover a problem here:
>>
>> at the end of the process, I get:
>>
>> gpg: /home/jd/.gnupg/trustdb.gpg : base de confiance créée gpg:
>> clef 1CC275B6 marquée de confiance ultime. les clefs publique et
>> secrète ont été créées et signées.
>>
>> this means that the public and secret keys have been created,
>> *but*:
>>
>> ]$ gpg --edit-key francois.patte at mi.parisdescates.fr gpg (GnuPG)
>> 1.4.19; Copyright (C) 2015 Free Software Foundation, Inc. This is
>> free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is
>> NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
>>
>> gpg: clef « francois.patte at mi.parisdescates.fr » introuvable :
>> clef publique introuvable
>>
>> gpg cannot find the public key......
>>
>> What can I do now, me, a mere mortal!!!
>>
> First, for completeness...
>
> ls -lZ ~/.gnupg

question mark on all files (on my account):

-rw------- fp ufr ?                                export-key.pri
-rw------- fp ufr ?                                export-key.pub
-rw-r--r-- fp ufr ?                                fpatte-efeo.asc
-rw------- fp ufr ?                                fpatte-univ.asc
-rw------- fp ufr ?                                francis.asc
-rw------- fp ufr ?                                François.jpg
-rw------- fp ufr ?                                gpg-agent.conf
-rw-r--r-- fp ufr ?
gpg-agent.conf.gpgconf.bak
-rw------- fp ufr ?                                gpg.conf
-rw------- fp ufr ?                                id.jpg
-rw------- fp ufr ?                                moineau.asc
drwx------ fp ufr ?                                private-keys-v1.d/
-rw------- fp ufr ?                                pubring.gpg
-rw------- fp ufr ?                                pubring.gpg~
-rw------- fp ufr ?                                random_seed
-rw------- fp ufr ?                                secring.gpg
srwx------ fp ufr ?                                S.gpg-agent=
-rw------- fp ufr ?                                trustdb.gpg

and on John doe account:

drwx------. jd jd unconfined_u:object_r:gpg_secret_t:s0 private-keys-v1.d
-rw-------  jd jd ?                                pubring.gpg
-rw-------  jd jd ?                                pubring.gpg~
-rw-------  jd jd ?                                random_seed
-rw-------  jd jd ?                                secring.gpg
-rw-------  jd jd ?                                trustdb.gpg

> And you are running these versions?
>
> thunderbird-enigmail-1.8.2-1.fc21.x86_64
> thunderbird-31.7.0-1.fc21.x86_64

Same problem with 31.5.0 version (from mozilla repo) or with 31.7.0
(from fedora repo)  and with enigmail 1.8.2 (from TB add-ons repo, or
from fedora repo).

> If you do a
>
> gpg --list-public-keys     you don't see your public key?

my account:

]$ gpg --list-public-keys
/home/patte/.gnupg/pubring.gpg
------------------------------
pub   1024D/D855D895 2005-03-14
uid                  Francois Patte <francois.patte at mi.parisdescartes.fr>
uid                  Francois Patte (Universite)
<francois.patte at math-info.univ-paris5.fr>
uid                  [jpeg image of size 3021]
sub   4096g/6116C29B 2005-03-14

(and some others)

John Doe account:

]$ gpg --list-public-keys
/home/jd/.gnupg/pubring.gpg
---------------------------
pub   2048R/1CC275B6 2015-07-17
uid                  John Doe (test) <francois.patte at mi.parisdescartes.fr>
sub   2048R/CD1F2476 2015-07-17

> I have an F21 VM and I just did what I think all of what you did and
> I was able to send a signed message without trouble.  I'm using KDE
> as my desktop

I'm using xfce4.

Did you try to disable selinux on your VM installl? I disabled selinux
by the way of
/etc/selinux/config file.

--
François Patte