w/out clean all, dnf does nto find packages to be updated

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Sun Jul 19 21:14:15 UTC 2015

On Sun, 19 Jul 2015 21:56:46 +0200, Maurizio Marini wrote:

> Here is F22
> Maybe this was already posted on list.
>
> I have plugin that notify some packges should be updated:
> Software Updates
> You have 19 new updates

That one doesn't use "dnf" but PackageKit as a backend. You would
need to compare with the "pkcon" tool, not "dnf".

> using dnf update
> or dns upgrade
> it does not find anything:
>
> --------------------
> # dnf update
> Last metadata expiration check performed 1:27:33 ago on Sun Jul 19 19:54:29
> 2015.

!!! Have you noticed this status message?
You haven't commented on it. :-(

> Dependencies resolved.
> Nothing to do.
> Complete!
>
> then I do a clean all

Please! For years, Yum users have thought they would "need" to run a
"clean all" when all they really wanted was "clean metadata" only.
It's the same with DNF. Consult the manual page. There are enough
commands available that would make DNF delete the local cache and
redownload metadata from the repo. Notice "dnf clean expire-cache" and
"dnf clean metadata" and also the "dnf --refresh …" option to add
to any command.

Also look up "dnf clean all" to understand what it does.