dnf update vs Software Udpates

Suvayu Ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 07:43:45 UTC 2015

On Mon, Jul 20, 2015 at 09:00:16AM +0200, Jan Zelený wrote:
> > On Sun, Jul 19, 2015 at 8:32 PM, Javier Perez <pepebuho at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > This is weird.
> > > Software Updates on the Control Panel says that there are 39 updates
> > > available
> > > But when I run dnf update it says "Nothing to do". What gives?
>
> IIRC the Software Updates widget does not use dnf to check for updates,
> therefore it's likely it has a different set of metadata at its disposal. As
> you figured out, cleaning the MD cache helps.

I'm getting a bit confused lately.  How many package managers does
Fedora have these days?  IIRC, until a year or two back, it was the same
backend (yum), but many front ends (yumex, all the packagekit based
frontends for the different desktops).  Did packagekit start doing the
backend bits itself?

>From your message I understand that there are at least two different
package managers, both are "Official" to some capacity.  For cli users
like myself, it's dnf, for gui users it's something packagekit based.

Am I mistaken?

--
Suvayu