Thank God for yum-deprecated :-)

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Mon Jul 20 15:12:35 UTC 2015

On Mon, Jul 20, 2015 at 16:02:11 +0200,
  Jan Zelený <jzeleny at redhat.com> wrote:
>On 20. 7. 2015 at 08:57:41, kevin martin wrote:
>> I'm with Jan...Thank God for yum-deprecated.  Been trying to get systemd
>> updated with DNF forever and it's been throwing an error about
>> fedora-release..yum-deprecated has it handled.  The whole skip-broken part
>> of yum makes it so much easier to actually do updates.  DNF's handling of
>> broken packages by stopping the update cold is worthless.
>

>Well, I can't be sure because you haven't provided any details but it sounds
>like something --best might be able to solve for you.

That doesn't really help much. It provides some data on why it isn't
doing things that might allow you to figure out how to modify the command to
get it to partially succeed. --allowerasing only works in some cases and
I haven't been able to figure out which cases.

For just doing updates (not installs) I found that dnf does a better job
at figuring out what can be updated without removing anything. Yum's
depsolver would just give up in some caes where dnf can do some updates.