Thank God for yum-deprecated :-)

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Mon Jul 20 15:54:34 UTC 2015

On Mon, Jul 20, 2015 at 17:35:18 +0200,
  Jan Zelený <jzeleny at redhat.com> wrote:

>That's basically what --allowerasing is about. The idea is that when you run
>upgrade, you most likely don't want this upgrade to remove any of the packages
>that are currently installed on your system. As the name says, the --
>allowerasing switch removes this assumption, allowing the dependency solver to
>have more available solutions to choose from.

But it doesn't always remove packages that would allow upgrading another
package. The documentation doesn't appear to give precise information
about when packages will be erased in order to allow upgrades. The case
where I'd like to see it work is when there is a soname bump, but not all
dependencies have been updated yet. In most cases I prefer to remove the
unupdated packages temporary so that I can use the latest version of the
library. It would also be useful for upograding between Fedora releases
where retired packages can also block library updates.

>Back to your original question, I am not sure what the problem is. You seem to
>describe a situation where package has some broken deps and therefore can't be
>installed in which case it is not going to be installed, neither by yum nor by
>dnf and --skip-broken will have no effect on that. Or am I missing something?

There are cases where yum gets to a point where it won't do any installs
or updates, even though --skip-broken is turned on and some installs or
updates are possible. You can work around this by trying to update or install
a smaller set of packages. For updates dnf is better, but for installs it is
currently worse.