GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY="true"

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Mon Jul 20 17:04:22 UTC 2015

On Mon, Jul 20, 2015 at 10:49 AM, jd1008 <jd1008 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 07/20/2015 12:40 AM, Dennis Jacobfeuerborn wrote:
>>
>> On 07/20/2015 03:50 AM, jd1008 wrote:
>>>
>>> What is the significance/effect of setting
>>> GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY=  to "true" or "false" ?
>>
>> Accroding to https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GRUB2/Config_Variables :
>>
>> "If true, recovery menu entries will not be generated. On Linux,
>> recovery entries pass "single" on the kernel command line."
>>
>> Regards,
>>    Dennis
>
> Thank you Dennis, but that is still cryptic.

"single" on the kernel command line means single user mode boot.

> What are these recovery entries??
> Do they refer to the grub boot entries, such as:
> menuentry 'Fedora, with Linux 0-rescue-461e3f8f6eaa4c59a6eb26b2f67d5d0e'
> --class fedora --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os $menuentry_id_option
> 'gnulinux-0-rescue-461e3f8f6eaa4c59a6eb26b2f67d5d0e-advanced-5a038471-4aea-451f-b4ec-3f6b1e25bf1e'

This GRUB setting has nothing to do with the rescue initramfs, which
is a nohostonly initramfs. The nohostonly "rescue" initramfs is, AFAIK
is a Fedora specific thing and I'm not sure if the responsible
upstream is the kernel team or dracut.

And yes, I find the terminology confusing, and actually the duplicate
use of the same term "rescue" for two different purposes in the
bootloader menu I think wasn't well thought out in advance.

There's the GRUB use of rescue which is single user mode.
There's the systemd use of rescue(.target) which is also single user
mode (in contrast to the even more rudimentary emergency.target)
There's the kernel rpm/dracut use of rescue which is a nohostonly initramfs.

Let's see what else uses rescue? btrfs rescue zero-log is a stretch...

--
Chris Murphy